Friday, January 05, 2007

Comings and Goings...



Well, in with the new, out with the old.

Governor Patrick was inaugurated today in the first-ever outdoor inauguration. If the cooperation shown by the weather is any reflection on the fate of the Patrick Administration, Massachusetts is about to be the most successful state in the nation. It was a balmy 50, with only a mild breeze; quite a contrast to some years when we'll have had three or four feet of snow by now and the temperature is struggling to get out of the twenties.

Clicking that picture above will take you to a few shots I took today, including a first-ever look at my squalor. Err... office.

I took my own version of the Long Walk today -- handing in my resignation and severing my thirteen year association with State government. An offer came through last night for a job I'd been sniffing around for a little while, and I jumped at it.

Signing my resignation; typed on the snazzy letterhead and addressed to a boss who himself was minutes away from his own end, wasn't that big a deal. What really hit me was sitting down with the HR person and signing the official papers executing my separation from service. This has been all I've done since college and it's seen me go from an unmarried kid of 22 who thought he was a hot shit when he got a raise to $29K after three years, to a father of two with a monthly mortgage payment bigger than my original monthly salary. This has been my life and identity since adulthood, and now I'm out... Weird.

The good thing is my new gig is related to government, and I'll be working with a good group of people with whom I've worked before, and I'll be advocating for good things -- I'm not becoming a cigarette lobbyist or something... (not that I wouldn't mind that kind of money...)

Now comes the hard part. While we're at it, let's throw all the life changing stuff out there at once:

I'm wrapping up the blog as well. There's a number of reasons; the new job is going to be challenging and I'll need to dedicate the "creative" parts of my day to it, rather than the blog; too many folks I know personally know about the blog and lately I feel like I've been writing with someone writing over my shoulder, and recently, as you may have been able to deduce, I've been concentrating on things other than Kal's World. I'd rather say goodbye than let the thing linger into bolivian, as Mike Tyson would say.

So guys, I love you all. And I want to say goodbye properly to each and every one of you, so this weekend I'll put up my last will and testament, and then that'll be it. I'll still haunt your places, so when you see that "bos.east.verizon.net" that's quite possibly me. And I'll keep the blogger ID, so I can make asinine comments on your blogs (and mercilessly taunt Gino and RW when the Pats beat Chicago in the Superbowl this year).

Actually, as a proper Boston Irishman, we're going to have to turn this sucker out right. So we'll have a drunken wake this weekend, followed by the will reading. Then we shuffle this internet coil and join the blogroll invisible...

I've enjoyed each and every one of you. And now I have to go finish cleaning my office...


11 comments:

Avitable said...

Good luck at your new job. I'm really happy that you were able to find something without any down time.

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Good luck Kal - I'm really glad you found something new so soon.

Hope to see you around my place every now and then. I'll leave a pot of coffee on for ya!

ellen said...

Don't forget to take those apples with you.

Callie said...

Awwwww! Gonna miss your blog!

Just got back from your mom's blog, where I realized something.

I'm older than you!!!

That really sucks.

Glad you got the job, though.

:-P

Gino said...

damn,kal...
was just startin to get to know you.

you'll blog again.
i hope.

RW said...

Noooooo!

Larry said...

It's been fun reading you. Albeit, quite sporadically. Congrats on the new job and good luck. Hope you find it to your liking.

And if that just happens to be less challenging, creatively, then you think it is going to be, feel free to plop back down in your chair and type out a few side-splitting paragraphs.

chris said...

Good luck at your new job Kal.

All the best

Penny said...

Geeze, Kal. I feel like I've been dumped...and don't try that "It's not you, it's me" crap, because I've heard it before.

I wish you nothing but happiness, health, prosperity and the ability to keep rastacat quiet until 7 a.m.

Will miss you desperately, sweets.

Dirty Gypsy said...

Kal, say it ain't so!! *sniff* I'll miss ya. I don't really know what to say that hasn't already been said, so ditto to all the above. *sniff*

At least we'll always have Recondo!

Take care of yourself, and I wish you the absolute best of luck!

Kara said...

Kal,
I will truely miss your quirky sense of humor and the talent that exudes from your posts. Good luck with the new job and may it be everything you hope it to be.
K.