Sunday, January 14, 2007

Un-be-freaking-lievable...

If I was a San Diego fan, well, that game would have been as horrifically unsatisfying as last year's New England meltdown in Denver. Every break seemed to go New England's way today, but... But at the end of the day, experience wins out. Experience winning, knowing how to win -- knowing not how to lose.

Cases in point:

New England driving in the third quarter. Third and thirteen, and Brady is sacked and fumbles. The Patriots recover the fumble, but far short of a first down, and probably out of field goal range. And Charger's CB Drayton Florence commits an absolutely stupid unnecessary roughness penalty, giving the Pats a first down. The Patriots subsequently kicked a field goal to close the game to one point.

Also, fourth quarter. Less than seven minutes left in the game, Chargers up by eight points. The Chargers have the Patriots at fourth and five, at the San Diego 41 yard line. Brady throws his third interception of the evening, right into the arms of SD defensive back Marlon McCree. Now, it's fourth down. If McCree drops the ball, it's San Diego's ball on the 41 (McCree is around the 25 yard line). But McCree decides to run with the ball, into a crowd of Chargers and Patriots players. The ageless Troy Brown, from his sitting position on the field, reaches up and strips the ball from McCree, and the Patriots recover. Brady has his second touchdown pass five short passes later, and the score, after a two-point conversion, is tied.

The funny thing is, the whole "drop the fourth-down interception" thing (which even I, a dumb lineman, remember from high school football practice) is mentioned in a book I'm reading, "The Management Secrets of the New England Patriots", where the writer gives this very thing as an example of the football intelligence of the Patriots. Marlon McCree is going to have a long off-season, waking from nightmares screaming "just drop the ball"...

Look at the Chargers. Who was their best defensive player? Inside linebacker, 11 year veteran, Donnie Edwards had nearly a dozen tackles and an interception. Shawne Merriman? Who had 17 sacks during his shortened (four games suspended for steroid use) season? Merriman: two tackles, one sack. In the playoffs, experience wins out.

So, Indy next. A replay of the 2003 season AFC Championship, where the Pats intercepted Peyton Manning four times, or the 2004 Divisional round, where the boys in Silver, blue and red held the ball for 37 minutes and beat the Colts 20-3.

But man, these Colts looked good over the past two weeks...

I wish I had some nails left to bite...

7 comments:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

I was really torn in this one since I like the Patriots (and have supported them for years unless they're playing the Packers), but really thought the Chargers had an awesome season. It wouldn't have been pretty cool to see LT in the Super Bowl.

Like you said, they made the plays they had to when they needed to. Some would call it luck. I'd call it a well coached team.

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Go Pats!

I wish I had a team to root for - but alas, I'm from MN.

Oh well, maybe my kids will see a championship some day.

Kara said...

oh...football....snore

Gino said...

got a prediction?
i'm taking bears over saints in squeaker.
pats over colts by 3. (or else a blowout by the colts)

making it bears v pats, per your previous prediction, where the bears will outscore the pats 54-3.











at the half.

Kal said...

Hammer: I agree. Preparation and coaching beats out talent 99% of the time. And I do love LT and think he's hands-down the most exciting running back in the game. So why did he only touch the ball nine times in the second half of a game where the Chargers were in control until the very end? There's a reason Schottenheimer's 5-13 in the playoffs...

HM: Wait, I thought the Minnesota had the Vikings.... Oh... I get it... Wait 'till next year!

KM: Sigh.... You are thisclose to being the perfect woman, but your irrational dislike of football costs you....

Gino: Can't look ahead of the Colts, but I do like the coaching matchup in this one. And if the game stays tight, then Manning will have to beat the Pats, and that hasn't been his cup of tea. And I'll be rooting for the Bears, you can count on it.

Kara said...

Aw Kal, you can't blame me, blame my mom! We had one tv..ONE and during football season it was always on a game. Not my dad, my dad could have cared less, but my MOTHER. I had the only house in town where you could tell if we were winning just by walking by...her screams of "No NO NO" would resound down the street. I took to avoiding the house during football season...ah the shame.

on another note...thanks for your comment on my blog, means alot. People say things like that but I take it as a grain of salt, but when it comes from someone like you..it means something.

Anonymous said...

Looks like the seas are parting for Peytin to get a ring. He just has to finish.

Though wouldn't it be crazy if the Saints won it all?